Saturday, November 30, 2013

To Simon: On Your 1 Year Birthday

To my eldest, my firstborn, Simon, on the day you turn 1!  Happy Birthday my sweet boy!  I don't call this your first birthday because you already had that - on the day you were born.  What a glorious morning that was when you arrived.  We were thrilled to have you here after a very long night (technically 36 hours) of labor.



 You were quiet when you were born - not crying, just a few whimpers to make sure that we knew you were here and needed us.  I remember Peter saying something to our midwife about that fact and how he expected you to be crying.  Once he requested it, you gave him what he wanted and proceeded to give your lungs a nice workout for the next 15-20 minutes.  You have always been your father's son.





I had never seen your Daddy cry until I saw him hold you for the first time.  You turned his world upside down in one instant and he has never been the same.  I know this for a fact.  We became "Mama and Papa Bears" as Peter likes to say.




You gave me the greatest gift that I didn't know I wanted:  Motherhood.  You were the biggest surprise of our lives but also were by far the best one. I didn't know that this past year would be the happiest of my life with being your Mama.  No one told me what joy awaited in it.  Plenty of people told me otherwise....but I have since realized how wrong they were.  Staying home with you everyday is exciting.  It's an adventure and a thrill.   It's rewarding and the most fulfilling thing that I have ever done.  We have so much fun together and now that you are older, you are quickly becoming the buddy that I want with me everywhere.



You are very sweet with a great disposition.  You smile and chatter constantly.  People love to stop and say hi or smile at you and most of the time you respond with a big smile.  You have yet to mind being left with a perfect stranger as you love people and are extremely sociable. Your strength betrays your age and most have been surprised to hear that you aren't 1 yet.  Curiosity should be your middle name as you are into everything lately!  Because you now know what "no" and "no touch" mean, I can see you weighing the consequences of your insatiable desire to see things up close (which wins some of the time). Despite that, you have a tender heart and bend your will fairly easily. You have the Harrington intelligence for sure and it shows through your eyes - I could tell from just a few months on that you understood things at a more mature level.  I have a feeling that once you begin talking, you will have a hard time stopping!

And now today marks a whole year since you came into our lives.  I can not believe it.  I knew it was coming quickly but now that it's here I don't know where the time went.  I am afraid to blink and you will be 18 and leaving us as a young man.  I am not sure how my heart will handle that!

I look forward to watching you grow and become the man that God wants you to be.  I am honored and humbled to be a part of it.

You have had so many "firsts" this year that I have tried to write down so that I will remember them....but I often times think about your "lasts" and how much I want to cherish them as well:  The last time that you crawl.  The last time that you pull on my legs wanting me to pick you up.  The last time that you sit on my lap or cuddle after naps.  The last time that you want me (instead of Daddy) to comfort you.  The last time that you hold my hand.  The last time that you let me kiss you in public....or at home.  The last time that you ask me to play with you....

I am making a conscious effort to remember that the time is coming when you won't do all of these things anymore.  I don't take that lightly.


I will deeply cherish these days with you and I know that someday I will ache for them.  Thank you, my sweet, happy boy for turning me into your Mama.  Happiest of Birthdays to you!  

Love you with all of my heart,

Mama

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, amazingly said tribute. Now that I'm done bawling, maybe I can see to type this! I think every mother feels like you do - you just managed to put it into words for the rest of us. Thank you! And happy birthday Simeon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jewels! I was bawling writing it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Well THAT just made me start bawling!! SO precious and SO sweet!! Our children our SUCH an amazing blessing and being a mom is the best gift ever!!!

    ReplyDelete