Wednesday, November 13, 2013

6 Tips For Incorporating Workouts

Physical activity is such an easy thing that anyone can do every day to improve multiple facets of their lives.  And it’s free
Studies show so many positive effects from physical activity that it's impossible to ignore or deny its importance in our daily lives.  It reduces stress, is a natural antidote for depression, aids with digestion, improves heart health, helps with circulation, increases brain function, gives you energy, lowers blood pressure, improves your mood, combats disease, promotes better sleep, etc.  Do we really need any other convincing that working out is hugely important?  The following aren't facts but when I workout I find that my food tastes better, my sleep feels sweeter and my overall outlook is more positive and productive.  When I was pregnant, working out made all the difference in how I felt.  I was less sick, slept better, had more energy, drank more water, had less overall issues and felt incredible on the days that I worked out.  There is nothing like a good workout when you are big and pregnant to make you feel like you are the woman!  =) 

Before I get into some of my workout routines, I'd like to share some tips to helping you get started with a regular, habitual time that you dedicate to physical activity. 

1.  Do what is fun for you.  If you hate working out, you can't expect to force yourself to
get up every day and muscle through something that you despise while hoping it becomes a habit.  So don't.   You have to ease into things.  Give yourself something practical that you know that you can stick to because honestly, the biggest part of the battle is setting a habit first.  Set a habit of a specific time everyday (or every other day) that you set aside for your activity and stick to it.  Once you have the habit set, you can introduce new things into that workout.  You can start with just putting aside time to stretch or go sit outside for some quiet time.  Then maybe take a little stroll and enjoy some time to just think and be outside.  Once you have that habit, you can increase your pace or try a little jogging here and there while you walk etc.  You get the idea.  Just ease into it. 

2.  Be proactive in making time in your schedule You have time - you just have to make it a priority.  Pick a time that you can be consistent with several times a week and stick to it.  A tip with this is to pick the time of day when you can give your best to your workout.  Pick a time where you can focus, work hard and have the right mindset.  If that means getting up early or doing it late at night that is fine.   Just find which works best for you where, again, it can be habitual.

3.  Commit to a # of days a week that you want to get in a workout in and stick to it Pick the number rather than the days because life is unpredictable so some weeks will look different than others.  Picking the number rather than the days allows you to be flexible week to week with which days will work for you.

4.  Utilize the friends in your life who are on this path and can help you with yours If you know people who have this interest as well then use it to your advantage.  Ask them to work out with you or to help give you ideas for your regimen.  When Simon was 3 months old, my dear friend Grace was my faithful, workout "drill sergeant".  We would meet at the mall a couple times a week (before the mall was open) to jog with our strollers and do some circuit training.  Once the weather was nice we switched to meeting at parks.  I knew that I was in a season in my life where I needed the extra help with being faithful in my workouts so I called up Grace.  Find those people.

5.  Remember it's the quality not the quantity How hard you work during your workout will trump how long you go for.  Your workouts do not have to be long at all.  I have some days where I take 10 - 15 minutes to crank one out.  If you are working hard enough, your length of time can be shortened.  I love circuit training for this very reason.  It is a whole body workout that combines cardio with strength training (often time using your own body weight for resistance) and usually is very easy to do at home.  Crossfit is a great example of circuit training.  I love that you can do it anywhere and use the principles with anything.  I say that if you leave the gym or your workout looking the same as when you entered then you are not working hard enough.  A great way to gauge this is by your sweat.  I have to work up a good sweat to know that I worked hard enough.  Obviously there will be days when you don't have the energy or your body is telling you that it needs a break and that's okay too. 

6.  Something is better than nothing.  I have to remind myself of this constantly.  When Simon was only a few months old and I was struggling with dropfoot, my workouts felt like a big let down because they were not nearly what I had worked up to before birth.  I struggle with feeling like my workouts don't count unless I can feel it and see it (aka the sweat gauge).  But this is absolutely not true.  Spending time doing a physical activity is always better than doing none at all.  Don't listen to that voice that says otherwise. 


In the future, I would like to share some of my workout routines with all you ladies - both my at home ones and at the gym ones.  Let me know if you have any questions or requests! 

XOXO
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment