Friday, March 7, 2014

Homemade Sweet Potatoe Fries with Aioli Sauce

I had a hankering for garlic, parmesan fries with aioli sauce the other day...so much so that I decided to make them myself!  My cupboard only had sweet potatoes so I decided to make those instead and still go with the aioli sauce.  WOW.  I was in for a treat!  =)


These fries were exactly what I wanted and turned out so well that I will be using this recipe a lot!

I didn't have everything for the recipe that I found so I used what I had and improvised a little...



The fries with the sauce did not disappoint!  

Okay, so to begin, start with your fries.  These homemade fries are so easy that I make them all the time.  You just need sweet potatoes (or yams), coconut oil, garlic powder and salt.


Slice up your sweet potatoes (I keep the skin on and just scrub them well) into thin strips and place on a cookie sheet.  Take a spoonful of coconut oil and and rub it into the strips with your fingers.



After you rub it in (doesn't have to be perfect), sprinkle salt and garlic powder all over them.  I use either Jane's Crazy Salt OR pink Himalayan sea salt.



Bake them at 450 for around 7 minutes and then flip them. I'm guessing 7 minutes - just flip them when they look semi-cooked.  Let them cook an additional 7 ish minutes until they look somewhat crispy.  I added a touch of parmesan right at the end (so that it didn't burn).



Now, on to your Aioli Sauce.  This stuff was so easy!  Let me add a disclaimer first:  I was out of eggs so could not make it that way.  Instead, I dug out what was left in a mayonnaise jar that I found at the back of my fridge and went with that.  Next time, I plan on making it with eggs and olive oil instead.  



This is all that you need for an Aioli Sauce made with mayonnaise.  It is so simple.  Crush the garlic into a bowl and mix with the mayonnaise.  (3 cloves to 3/4 cup).  Next add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and some salt and pepper to taste.  Let chill for 30 minutes before eating.   




I got a little too much lemon juice in mine so I would advise to go lighter on it and add more as you want it....

Don't be surprised if you eat the whole plateful yourself like I did!



Simon of course ate them with me and he loves them!







Sweet Potatoe Fries:
1-2 large sweet potatoes (or yams)
Garlic powder
Salt
Parmesan Cheese
Coconut Oil

Slice up sweet potatoes into fries, spread in a shallow cookie sheet (only do about half a potatoe at a time).  Rub with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.  Bake at 450 for around 7 minutes.  Turn and bake for another 7 minutes.  (Or until crispy - guessing on the time here!)  Sprinkle with parmesan and cook another 2-3 minutes.  Remove from oven and place on a plate covered with a paper towel.

Garlic Aioli Sauce:
3 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1-2 T lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in either a blender or food processor.  Let chill for 30 minutes before eating.


Enjoy!



Until the next recipe,

XOXO
Joy






2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Joy, any chance you could start writing the recipe separate at the bottom (below the long version of the recipe) so that people could print only the recipe without the pictures?? ya know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely start doing that! =)

    ReplyDelete