Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mixing Accessories

Accessories can be so much fun - especially right now with all the fun and funky trends!  From big, statement pieces to all the cool rings, bangles and earrings, there are a lot of options out there.  One thing that can be confusing is how to properly mix them when they don't all "match".  This is something that I have been experimenting with lately and I think I am discovering some secrets to it.

I have heard one, general rule to accessorizing:  Before you leave the house, take one thing off.  Now, if you don't tend to wear too many accessories this probably doesn't apply to you.  If you love jewelry and things like I do, you probably should pay attention.  Are you wearing earrings, a ring, bangles and a necklace?  It's probably a tad too much.  Too much looks way overdone and has the opposite effect that you are trying to achieve.  You want your jewelry to add a statement without being obnoxious.



This is an example of a more casual outfit so I didn't do a ton of accessories.  I am using a belt, earrings and bracelet to accent this outfit.
 I love this turquoise wrap bracelet - it goes with absolutely everything!  I use it as my "pop of color" all the time.  The earrings go nicely with my white top - they have white, light pink and gold on them.  Because they pair so well with my top and almost "match", the turquoise can be my pop of color and still go well with my outfit even though it doesn't match my earrings.  If you have earrings that are a bright color and then another piece that is a bright color, it can be too much or clash.  Try to have one piece be more neutral and they other more of a statement (unless they are a set).

Easter Sunday 2014

This is one last example - not the best picture for it but you can still see the accessories.  With this coral dress, I paired coral earrings, a gold ring with coral and a bright red necklace.  This works because most of the jewelry matches the dress with one piece as the statement by being the pop of color.  If all the jewelry was red, that would work too, but I think it's more fun to mix it up.  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment