Friday, May 16, 2014

Beauty Tip: Give Your Hair a Break

Want long lasting curls?  Healthier hair?  More bounce and shine overall?  Here is the best tip I have to offer you:

Don't blow dry your hair.  I know, I know, I hate letting my hair air dry.....it takes a while, does not look as good, has less volume and really looks a lot shorter than when I blow dry it.  BUT, air-dried hair does not have all the fly-aways, is a lot more soft and smooth (not just in appearance) and holds curl like nothing else.  I am convinced it is the secret to 1920's curls.  Plus, your hair needs a break!  Blow drying your hair is the most damaging for it (more so than curling it) and if you never give it a break, it will produce more split ends, breakage etc.

Right now I am in the process of going from brunette back to blonde and my hair is fragile so I have to do all that I can to help it maintain its health.  I have sworn to not blow dry it at all while my hair is still in the lightening process in an effort to help it along.  And you know what?  It actually hasn't been that bad!  If I curl it a little once it is fully dried (with a heat protecting spray) it looks really beautiful, soft and the curls hold for a couple days.





 I do miss the length.  It looks noticeably shorter when it air dries but it is totally worth it at this point.

I wanted to do a picture of it when I blow dry it versus air dry but since I am not blow drying it right now, you will have to take my word for it.  With the fragile state that my hair is in, it looks REALLY corn-stalky when I dry it.  I mean, it looks bad and then I have to curl it just to make it look okay (which means double the heat exposure).  Air drying produces much softer looking hair and really amazing curls.

We all need a break every so often, our hair is no exception.  =)


XOXO
Joy

1 comment:

  1. So gorg! Love those tips!! I havent blow dried in 5 months! Its helping A LOT! <3 YAY for going back to blonde!!

    ReplyDelete