Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Is the Tone of your Hair the Problem?

We are going to talk hair tone today. This is something that I have been focused on lately as I try to get a more ashy blonde. Fortunately, I have a sister who is an amazing stylist and she will patiently explain things to me that sometimes my stylist doesn't take the time to.  I thought I would share with you all as it is an important concept to grasp in the hair world.

The tone of your hair, especially if you color it, can make a big difference in the overall color/look you are going for.  You can tone your hair to be more cool or warm and your color will look immensely different!  As a blonde, I have to specifically ask my stylist to tone the highlights that she gives me to achieve the right color of blonde that I want.  Just getting bleach put on is not enough!  I have some examples to show you because I think this is an important concept to understand if you are not happy with the way your hair is turning out.

I am going to use pictures of blonde hair to make this point today but the idea still applies to other hair colors as well.

WARM Blonde Hair:

If you want a more "yellow", "buttery" blonde look then ask for a warm toner.


COOL Blonde Hair:

To get a more "white", "ashy" blonde, you want a cool toner (it should be purple in color) AND you will want to purchase purple shampoo and use it with your regular shampoo.

BRASSY Blonde Hair:

Brassy hair is what happens when your blonde color gets old and starts to turn "orange" because of sun exposure and time being un-treated.  If your hair is looking brassy, putting on a toner and letting it sit for a couple minutes will lift it right out and give you back your beautiful color.


I hope this clears up any confusion.  As you can see, putting a toner on your color can make a big difference!  If you are unhappy with the way your hair is turning out, ask your stylist to use a toner to change it up for either a warmer or cooler look.  Your stylist probably is doing a fine job with your color, you  just need the correct toner.

XOXO
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment