Saturday, August 16, 2014

Quinoa Chickpea Burgers

I recently came across a recipe that sounded so amazing that I had to try it. It was chickpea burgers with roasted red pepper. I didn't have roasted red pepper but I did have quinoa and regular peppers so I decided to go for it and boy, they did not disappoint!



I started with peeling and cubing a medium sized potato. I then cooked it by placing it in a frying pan with about 1 inch of water and cooking it with a lid on for about 10-15 mins. I wanted it soft enough to mash up but not completely without form.


Once that was cool, I put it in a mixing bowl along with 2 eggs, about a cup of cooked quinoa, dried parsley (fresh OR cilantro would have been better!) and a can of mashed chickpeas (drained but save some of the juice!).


I then took one, chopped red pepper and sautéed it til it was soft. I added in 3 gloves of fresh garlic right at the end as well as some chopped adobo pepper (for spice).


Once cooked, these were added to the bowl of chickpea mixture along with the above spices and 1-2 tablespoons of the chickpea juice and mixed in.

Next I formed the mixture into burgers and fried them in some coconut oil til crispy on each side and cooked through.


These were served on toasted whole wheat buns with all the fixings and wow they were tasty! These burgers stayed together surprisingly well and we all enjoyed them.  We will definitely be having these again.


Quinoa Chickpea Burgers:
1 medium size potato
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 15 oz can chickpeas (drained but save some of the juice)
1/2 red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
Adobo pepper or jalapeño for spice
2 eggs
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon pepper

After cooking the potato, mix the above ingredients, form and fry up!

Enjoy!
XOXO
Joy












No comments:

Post a Comment