Tuesday, July 22, 2014

What is "Casual"?

Obviously people change over the years, but one change of mine began during the years I dated Peter. He is so good for me and brought out my feminine side a lot. To be honest, before I met him, I wore less pink and more jeans. :) He didn't not like how I dressed, he just really likes pink. ;)

I learned the hard way to be dressed up rather than down when hanging with him because I never knew what would happen and I ended up in some awkward situations.  Peter likes to dress nicely and there were a few times where he surprised me with a nice dinner (and he was dressed fine) but I was in casual attire. It horrified me when he surprised me with his official proposal (and ring!) at an amazing dinner and I was in a cotton shirt and jeans (of course Peter was in a suit). I realized then that it's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed in most situations.

Engagement - note the suit versus the jeans look 

So my rule of thumb now is that I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed. You never know what might come up and what you need to be prepared for. Obviously I don't mean this in an extreme way - I'm not walking around in cocktail dresses all day! ;) I still wear jeans and I definitely don't wear pink all the time but my version of casual has changed.  So, what's your version of casual?  Have you ended up in awkward situations because of being either under or over dressed?  I want to hear your horror stories!

XOXO
Joy







2 comments:

  1. Horror story: I wore overalls and a baseball hat (college uniform in 1997, ok???) into a clothing boutique in Italy and I was shown the door!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I could not picture you in a hat and overalls!

      Delete