Saturday, October 25, 2014

Broccoli, Cheddar Quiche with a Quinoa Crust

We love to eat quiche but sometimes I hesitate to make it because it requires a pie crust (and I like my pie crusts with white flour). Because the pie crust is essentially "empty calories", I don't view it as a meal I can really fill up on and so that's what makes me hesitate. I love to fill up nice and full at dinner time so I want my calories to count.

I came across a recipe for quiche made with a quinoa crust and I was immediately interested.




This broccoli, cheddar quiche turned out quite amazing and made for great leftovers that I ate for breakfast for several days.  The quinoa held up great as a crust plus you have the added protein which makes this a very filling meal.

You could easily substitute  veggies and just use whatever you have on hand.  I almost used spinach as I love spinach in my quiche.

Begin with mixing up your Quinoa Crust:


In a bowl combine:
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp turmeric
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix this up and press into a greased pie pan.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes until it begins to crisp and looks golden brown.

For your Filling, mix together:

5 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Salt
1/8th a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (My Mom taught me that this is the secret ingredient to any quiche)



I used leftover, steamed broccoli that I chopped up into pieces but if you don't have any leftover, you'll need to steam some first.




Place your broccoli in the pan first, followed by cheese.  Pouring the egg mixture over the cheese allows the cheese to bake into the egg mixture plus some will float to the top and give a nice cover while not burning.



Once your egg mixture is in, you are ready to bake!  Put it into your oven at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until it appears set and cheese is bubbly. It will still be slightly jiggly when you take it out of the oven which is fine because it will continue to bake in the pan.  Let it sit for 15 minutes once cooked in order to finish cooking.



Enjoy!


XOXO
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment